Mortimer Jordan football

JefCoEd on Thursday approved the installation of synthetic turf in Jimmie Trotter Stadium at Mortimer Jordan High School.

This decision comes five months after the Mortimer Jordan football team was forced to forfeit its home-field advantage twice during the 2018 playoffs, due to a large amount of rainfall and a deficient drainage system.

According to Jeff Dennis, who has organized fundraising efforts to cover the cost of this project, 83% of the funds needed have been collected. He expects to have the remaining 17% secured at some point within the next 30 days.

An estimated cost of $506,000 is needed. JefCoEd will cover roughly $250,000 of that cost and funds raised by Dennis will cover the remainder.

Mortimer Jordan hopes construction will begin by the end of May.

“Huge news for our community and for the area,” wrote Dennis. “We will be able to host many more events each year, beyond football.” 

The field is expected to be in place in time for the 2019-20 academic year. 

Erik Harris is the sports editor for The North Jefferson News. He can be reached at sports@njeffersonnews.com

This Week's Circulars