The North Jefferson News
FULTONDALE — After reaching the sub-state playoffs as an area runner-up last season, Fultondale girls head basketball coach Richie Busby is hoping to see his club go further this year.
“With four starters back, we’re hoping to get another spot in the sub-state playoffs,” he said. “We’re in a tough region with Ohatchee, who also has four starters back. We hope we can compete for the area championship this season.”
Busby welcomes back The North Jefferson News Girls Player of the Year from last season, Krissy Freeman, who averaged over 11 points per contest and Britani Howell, who averaged over nine points per game.
Also back are Diamond Stanley and senior post player, Helen Lee.
Returning off the bench from last season are Chelsey McCombs, Haley Hill, Molly Brown and Sarah Park. Others on this year’s roster include Carleena Unlap, Kelsey Hubbard, Shelbey Smith, Meagan Westbrook and Keanna Marshall.
Busby plans on using at least five different defenses as he hopes to see his club hold opponents under 45 points per game.
“We’ve got good shooters, girls who can run the floor and experience coming back,” he said. “We should be good.”
This Week's Circulars
This Week's Circulars
Lawrence O. Taylor, Jr. went to be with the Lord on December 14, 2019 at the age of 83. Lawrence is survived by his wife of 64 years, Bobbie Taylor; son, Terry Taylor (Rexana) and daughter, Tammi Wren (Dwight); grandchildren, Christina Savage (Joe), Matthew Wren, Mariah Wren, Martin Taylor (…
David Eugene Weichler, age 78, of Gardendale, Alabama, passed away at home on December 1, 2019 surrounded by his loving family. David is preceded in death by his parents, John F. and Velmer Weichler, sister, Evelyn Gibson and daughter Catherine Jean Weichler. He is survived by his wife of 57…
- Police Blotter: Gardendale arrests, incidents
- Gardendale Police searching for suspects in pharmacy burglary
- Gardendale promotes, hires personnel
- Applebees suffers minor damage in fire
- Gardendale, Mortimer Jordan earn 1st wins of season
- STATE CHAMPS: Rockets roll in Huntsville; Powe, Brashear, Fuller, Oswald win individual titles
- Corner sweeps on opening day
- Mortimer Jordan ends playoff run in Hanceville
- Tabernacle boys, girls take the floor in Oxford
- Gardendale gets business construction, renovation updates