On Monday, the Fultondale City Council voted to grant 3-percent cost-of-living raises for all employees. The raise is effective with the payroll that begins Sept. 21 and is paid on Oct. 7.
The city council also renewed or replaced members of several boards, including:
• Fultondale Library Board: Appointed David Germany to fill the expired term of Kay Hicks, which expires on Oct. 1. The remaining members are Janet Mitchell, Darrell Bates, Dorothy Byrd and Edna Layne
• Fultondale Planning Commission: Reappointed Ed Hawkins, Brenda Hawkins, Cecil Morgan, Mack Carmichael and Eddie Brown. The remaining members are Teresa Vise, Darryl Aldrich, Joe Bolton and Mayor Jim Lowery
• Fultondale Commercial Development Board: Reappointed Darrell Bates, Keith Brooke, Ed Hawkins, Eugene Fallon, and appointed David Reid to the expired term of Jim Valentine
• Zoning Board of Adjustments: Reappointed Eddie Brown, Phillip Loden and Danny Hill, and appointed Darrel Bates to the expired term of Wallace Davidson. The remaining members are Robert Graham and Steve Slaten.
In other business, the council:
• appointed the audit firm of Cork, Hill & Company LLC to perform the fiscal audit for the city for the period ending Sept. 30
• adopted an ordinance establishing the compensation of the mayor and council to be effective the first Monday in November 2012. Bolton said the ordinance ties the compensation of the mayor and council to the compensation of city employees. He said if the employees get raises, so do the mayor and council. If employees do not get raises, the mayor and council do not get raises.
• tabled a business license request from Superior Contractors at 1724 Decatur Hwy.
• heard from Lowery that he has asked the city attorney to look into city ordinances regarding pool tables and night clubs.
“We have a pool table ordinance. Anybody that has one has to go to the council,” Lowery said. “We might want to put that into planning and zoning” regulations.
Lowery said there is currently nothing on the books in Fultondale regarding night clubs.
He said the ordinance would define a night club and detail the regulations involved in the operation of a club.