By Evangeline Sloan
The North Jefferson News
Garden tip: We are indeed dry, but when it rains wash your flowers and lawn with one can of beer (not the light kind) and one cup of dish washing liquid. Mix it together in a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer then add the remainder of the 20 gallon jar with ammonia. Then, spray everything. This is a good wash for the plants.
• Stewart’s Chapel’s Sunday singing will host the Heritage Quartet. Lunch will be served. For more information, call Betty Dukes at 647-0768.
• On Oct. 31, First Baptist Church of Warrior will be hosting a fall festival at 6:30 p.m. There will be free hot dogs, chili and soft drinks to feast on while the children are enjoying the games. The community is invited to come join the fun. For directions to the church, call 647-9592 or go on our website at www.FBCWarrior.com.
• Corner High School theater presents “The Philadelphia and Sure Thing,” directed by Corner High School student Justin Marbutt on Oct. 30 through Nov. 1. Mike Putman is the teacher.
• Happy anniversary to Dot and Wayne Mann on Oct. 22. I hope you have a great day and a wonderful year. Happy birthday to Dianna Tyler on Oct. 22 and to Chris Sloan and Amanda Clements on Oct. 23. I hope all of you have a great birthday.
• Sympathy and prayers go to the family of Doris Manning Harvella. May God help each one deal with your loss. Doris will be greatly missed.
• Stewart’s Chapel will have a soup and chili supper on Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. Come join us and enjoy the fellowship.
• I would like to give tribute to a lady that worked one-and-a-half years on a book about Sloan. Her name is Ruby Sanders Sims, and she grew up in Sloan. She did a favor for all of us. She did not ask for any money for her work and everything was donated. After the book was finished, she donated three books to the Oneonta Public Library, the Oneonta Museum, and the Wallace State Genealogy Department of Hanceville College.
• Please continue to pray for our United States and our troops that are in harms way.
Evangeline Sloan is The North Jefferson News correspondent for the Warrior, Corner and Hayden communities. She can be reached at 647-9655.
By Evangeline Sloan