Woman loves senior center events, ballroom dancing
I recently met a very interesting lady, Emma Belle Burbage, at the Gardendale Senior Center.
She was born September 24, 1927, in the ACIPCO area of Birmingham. Her father and oldest brother worked at ACIPCO and it was only natural that you lived in that area if you worked at the plant.
Former business owner has passion for cooking, flowers
Some of you probably remember the smiling face of Mrs. Nell Cornelius McAnally.
She once owned Pauline’s Sportswear in Gardendale, and she lived on Echols Road in Gardendale.
- Person You Should Know — Maurene Guffin
Gardendale senior had long career with L&N Railroad
Howard McIntyre, 93, was born in Evergreen and has lived in Gardendale for many years.
It only seems right to refer to this gentleman as Howard, rather than Mr. McIntyre, because you feel you have known him forever after only spending a few minutes with him.
Patsy Duncan a woman of many talents, many stories
Patsy Moncrief Duncan —that name alone says a lot.
Patsy is a homesteader, living on property that has been in her family history before she was born and dates back to the 1800s. While sharing her history with me, she vividly described how the days were, and I felt as if I were turning pages of a book with colorful pictures.
- Gardendale resident a former freelance photographer for NJN He was seemingly distracted not by something, but a wandering mind. You see, he loves to go on mission trips and one had just left that day for Nicaragua, and he wanted to be going along. However, duty calls and this was his day for the festival.
- Fultondale Senior Center assembles Relay for Life team As a tribute to her own cancer survival and to pay tribute to others who have battled cancer, Byrd and members of the senior center formed a Relay for Life team.
Motorcycle ministry event to raise funds for Senior Olympics
For the second year, a motorcycle ministry has taken on the task of helping senior citizens in Morris.
Daystar Motorcycle Ministry of Jesus is hosting the second annual “A Star Fell on Morris” on Saturday at Morris City Park.
- Senior Spotlight: Gardendale’s Dooley has deep roots in area Life began for him in the area of what are now Minor Road and Dooley Road. Recalling his heritage in this area included his family having a garden, livestock and a well. They lived off of their land, as for some time there was no power in this area.
- County senior program to distribute coupons The Jefferson County Office of Senior Citizens Services (OSCS), in conjunction with the State Farmers Market Authority, will be distributing over 10,000 coupons for the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP), according to a press release.
- More Seniors Headlines
- Woman loves senior center events, ballroom dancing I recently met a very interesting lady, Emma Belle Burbage, at the Gardendale Senior Center.