By Melanie Patterson
The North Jefferson News
In March, officials with the Jefferson County Board of Education will attend a meeting to find out how the system will be affected by the recently-passed stimulus package.
“There is hope,” said system superintendent Dr. Phil Hammonds during a board of education meeting Thursday.
Hammonds said the board will possibly hold a special meeting following the March 23 gathering in order to take action after he learns how much the school system will receive.
Also during the meeting, Hammonds announced that employees at schools and at the Central Office Building will work a four-day week from June 8 to July 31.
Anticipated savings are from $225,000 to $250,000, much of which is savings from utility costs alone, according to Hammonds.
The hours will be Monday through Thursday, 7:15 a.m. until 5:15 p.m.
The board also approved the 2009-2010 school calendar, after receiving more than 2,000 votes from teachers, principals, board of education officials and others, according to Dr. Yancy Morris, deputy superintendent.
To see the entire schedule, visit www.jefcoed.com.
In other business relating to north Jefferson County, the board:
• approved the transfer of coach Brent Smith from Clay-Chalkville High School to Corner High School (he had previously worked at Corner)
• approved a March 13-14 field trip for 16 Mortimer Jordan High School students to Sheffield for a softball tournament
• approved a March 16-19 field trip for 15 Garden-dale High School students to Gulf Shores for a baseball tournament
• approved a March 15-19 field trip for 18 Corner High School students to Gulf Shores for a baseball tournament
• approved an April 3-4 field trip for 16 Mortimer Jordan students to Madison for a softball tournament
• approved an April 27-29 field trip for 12 Mt. Olive Elementary students to Dauphin Island to participate in the Sea Lab Marine Science Program
• approved an April 27-29 field trip for 32 Snow Rogers Elementary students to Fair-hope to participate in the Coastal Wonders Environmental Education Program
• approved a June 18-27 a field trip for 15 Corner High School students to Chicago/Normal, Ill., to attend a baseball game and participate in the Bands of America Summer Symposium
• approved a contracted services agreement for Chassid Marcy, Brandy Moro and Debra Smith to serve as pageant judges at North Jefferson Middle School on March 7, to be paid for with local school funds
• approved a contracted services agreement for for Laura McGuirk, Cynthia Scott and Tom Malian to serve as pageant judges at Mortimer Jordan on Saturday, to be paid for with local school funds
• approved a contracted services agreement between the board of education and Christopher Griffin, who will provide musical accompanist services for choir at North Jefferson Middle School. Cost will be provided with local schools funds
• approved two change orders for Corner High School
• announced that the week of March 16 is spring break week.
By Melanie Patterson