FULTONDALE — Residents and officials from Fultondale once again fremembered those who have served to defend America, as five names were added to a memorial wall during the city's annual Veterans Day ceremony.
The monument, located in the North Jefferson Veterans Memorial Park on Decatur Highway, now bears these additional names:
- Orval R. Arrington (1934-1999), who served in the U.S. Army
- Talmadge Brasher (1926-2013), an Army veteran of World War II
- Orby Leatherwood (1928-1992), also an Army veteran of World War II
- Hershel R. Thomas (1925-1996), a veteran of the U.S. Navy and of World War II
- James R. McInotosh (1925-2012), another Army veteran of World War II
As each name was read aloud, a bell was sounded and a white dove was released.
The ceremony also included a wreath laid at the base of the memorial wall by Gilmer Davis, a 90-year-old veteran of World War II and the newest member of the American Legion Post 255 in Fultondale.
The post co-sponsored Monday's ceremony, along with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6173.