North Jefferson News
NORTH JEFFERSON —
Good morning, and happy Wednesday
Weather: Better keep the umbrellas on standby today, as we have a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms later today. The high is 84 degrees and today’s low is 71.
Jefferson County: The Jefferson County Commission has reached a deal to settle its bankruptcy, which is the largest municipal bankruptcy filing in U.S. history. The plan would reportedly allow the county to emerge from bankruptcy by the end of the year. However, the plan must still be approved by a bankruptcy judge and creditors. It is expected that some creditors will balk at the plan. The county is more than $3 billion in debt.
Local: Events coming up in the north Jefferson area include:
• June 8: Ladies Day at Decatur Highway Church of Christ. No charge to attend. Lunch provided. RSVP or get more information at 631-7000.
• June 8, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.: The Trafford community yard sale and farmer’s market will be at the Trafford walking track. Spaces are $10 each (Bring your own tables, chairs and set up.).
Call 205-704-9493 or 205-647-1761 for details. Payments to be made to Trafford Beautification Board and can be made at the Trafford City Hall. Early payers get the choice spots, so don’t delay. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
• June 13-15, 6-8 p.m.: The Church Revived will hold their vacation Bible school called, “Life: It’s not a Game” for children kindergarten and up. If you have any questions, call the church at 631-4404.
• June 21, 7 p.m.: The Gardendale Arts Council is sponsoring the Acappella Oldies Show at the Gardendale Civic Center, featuring Back in Time. Tickets are $10 per person and can be purchased from group members, from the civic center two weeks prior to the show, or by mailing a check to Mike Dempsey at 3532 North Broken Bow Dr., Birmingham, AL 34242. Make checks out to Mike Dempsey. For more information, contact Dempsey at 991-5212 or email@example.com
• July 20, 11 a.m.: The Acipco-Eagan School/community reunion for classes 1922-1970 will be held at Gardendale Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church with lunch beginning at noon. Bring a covered dish to share. There will be door prizes. For more info call Jeanette Taylor Morgan at 620-0255 Earl Ray Davis at 979-9979.