GARDENDALE — Officials are moving forward in bringing a popular new restaurant into the city.
The city council on Monday voted to have a public hearing May 20 to discuss economic development incentives to benefit Panera Bread.
Developers are considering building a Panera Bread restaurant at the site of the former Shoney’s at the corner of Fieldstown and Mt. Olive roads. Mayor Othell Phillips announced recently at his annual state of the city address that the business was coming to Gardendale.
The council also set a public hearing for June 17 regarding a partial street vacation of Circle Drive for McAdam’s Properties LLC, which will be just west of Waffle House on Fieldstown Road. Phillips said Dunkin’ Donuts will open in that development, along with other businesses not yet announced.
In other business, the council:
• approved an off-premises beer and table wine license for Raceway at 606 Fieldstown Road
• designated May 12-18 as Police Week for the city
• announced that the city has reached an agreement with a developer for the City Center property, but Council President Stan Hogeland said the city can not reveal the name of the developer or any possible tenants for at least 30 more days
• approved a Torch Run on May 16, 11 a.m., to benefit Special Olympics of Alabama
• approved a vacation Bible school kickoff parade for East Gardendale Baptist church
• hired Lawrence Smith as a part-time housekeeper in the library
• accepted a bid from and authorized an agreement with C4 Creative LLC to promote the city through multimedia
• authorized the purchase of a 2013 Dodge Durango for the fire department
• authorized an agreement with the Alabama Department of Transportation for all future ATRIP projects that have already been approved
• authorized an agreement with Bhate Geosciences Corporation for a Fieldstown Road widening project and for resurfacing projects on Shady Grove and Mt. Olive roads
• authorized an agreement with the Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham to develop a comprehensive plan of existing conditions in the city of Gardendale
• authorized an agreement to purchase 4.39 acres at 100 Bell Street
• authorized an agreement with Transaction One for electronic payment processing through Visa/Mastercard for the Inspection Services Department.