Morris to require paving bonds for new subdivisions
By Melanie Patterson North Jefferson News
The Morris Town Council adopted an ordinance on Aug. 27 that is meant to alleviate problems with shoddy road construction in subdivisions.
The ordinance requires contractors to have a paving bond for developments in the city. There was previously no such requirement on the books in Morris, which led to numerous problems in Overbrook Highlands subdivision.
Residents in the neighborhood have been waiting for years for the developer, Clint Singletary, to finish the job. Singletary told the North Jefferson News in July that he will complete the paving project as soon as he is financially able.
In other business, the council:
voted that any employees hired after July 2012 will pay 50 percent of the cost of insurance for dependents. All employees hired before July will continue to pay only 25 percent of insurance costs for dependents, with the city paying the remaining 75 percent
heard the first reading of an ordinance that would require a 5-foot area to stay cleared around fire hydrants. Mayor Joe Pylant said some hydrants in the city are hidden by overgrowth
approved the use of a gas card for the town clerk, who will attend classes in Tuscaloosa Sept. 28-30
heard that health insurance costs are going up for town employees. Pylant said the city cannot absorb the increases, so they will be passed to employees