North Jefferson News, Gardendale, AL

Top Stories

August 13, 2013

NJN/am for Tuesday, August 13

Hello, soggy Tuesday…

Weather: Drip, drip, drip. A front will drop down from the north today, bringing with it an even greater chance of showers and thunderstorms, some of which could produce heavy rains and flash flooding. Highs will be in the upper 80s with a 70 percent chance of rain; those rain chances go down to 30 percent tonight with a low in the lower 70s. Whether or not there’s a rain chance for Wednesday depends on whether or not the front stalls out or keeps moving southward through the day.

Elderly man robbed, trapped. An 80-year-old Birmingham man went to clean up property he owns near Lassiter Mountain Raceway on Saturday, only to be robbed at gunpoint and then locked up in a storage shed. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s office said they were called early Monday after the victim’s son became concerned, went to the property and found his dad. A red Chevrolet van was stolen; the JCSO is on the lookout for it and the robber. The victim refused treatment from paramedics at the scene.

Another Obamacare delay. Reporters for Forbes Magazine and The New York Times discovered another delay in the implementation of Obamacare buried deep within the Federal Register, the official publication of new regulations by the federal government. This change delays for one year a cap on out-of-pocket expenses that those insured ­— us, in other words — would have to pay in a year. The original cap was $6,350 for an individual or twice that for a family, but the delay was granted because some insurers claimed they did not have time to implement the rule. Now there’s a higher cap or no cap at all, depending on the insurance company. It’s the second major delay in implementing Obamacare so far, and has a growing number of opponents of the Affordable Health Care Act calling for its repeal, or at least the removal of Congressional funding for it.

Text Only
Top Stories
Featured Ads
NDN Video
Doctors Remove 232 Teeth From Teen's Mouth Bradley Cooper Explains His Voice in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Deja vu: Another NYPD officer choke-holding a suspect 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now! Reports: Ravens RB Ray Rice Suspended For 1st 2 Games Of The Season Chapter Two: Becoming a first-time director Air Algerie plane with 119 on board missing over Mali Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Josh Jackson and others showcase talent Free Arturo - The World's Saddest Polar Bear A Look Back at Batman On Film Through The Years LeBron James -- Dropped $2k On Cupcake Apology ... Proceeds To Benefit Charity Snoop Dogg Says He Smoked Weed at the White House Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament Chris Pratt Interrupts Interview To French Braid Intern's Hair Shirtless Super Mario Balotelli Dances While Ironing - @TheBuzzeronFOX Whoa! Watch "Housewives" Star Do the Unthinkable LeBron apologizes to neighbors with cupcakes Justin Bieber In Calvin Klein Underwear Shoot Samsung Pre-Trolls The IPhone 6 With New Ad Jimmy Kimmel Introduces His Baby Girl
Twitter Updates