North Jefferson News, Gardendale, AL

August 12, 2013

NJN/am for Monday, August 12

By Robert Carter
North Jefferson News

— Welcome back to Monday…

Weather: It just won’t go away. The long parade of scattered showers and thunderstorms continues for at least the next few days, with a 60 percent chance today and 40 percent tonight. Highs today will be in the upper 80s with lows in the lower 70s. That forecast holds through at least Wednesday.

Morris woman killed. Brandy Haynie, 36, of Morris died shortly after a two-vehicle crash just north of the Birmingham Shuttlesworth Airport. The crash happened Friday afternoon on Tarrant-Huffman road, just east of the Tarrant city limits. No word yet on funeral arrangements.

Sports: Bragg basketball coach leaves. The question about Chris Berry and his frenetic-paced, platoon-based system at Bragg Middle School was simple: Will it work at the varsity level? We’ll find out in November, as Berry — who led the Rockets to four county championships in nine seasons — has taken the head coaching job at Tarrant High School… Golf: War PGA Eagle! Jason Dufner held on to a two-stroke lead on the back nine at the Oak Hill course in Rochester, N.Y., finishing with a 10-under score to win the PGA Championship on Sunday. It’s the first major for Dufner, who played for Auburn and still lives near the campus. Elsewhere it was Roll Tide, as current Alabama player Emma Talley won the U.S. Women’s Amateur championship. She won her 36-hole final match 2 and 1 over Yueer Cindy Feng… Baseball: After the Braves’ “Waffle House winning streak” ended Saturday at 14 games, they began a new streak Sunday with a 9-4 win over Miami. Jason Heyward had four hits and Fredi Freeman went yard. Elsewhere, the Barons got out of a recent slump with a 3-1 win at Mobile.