BIRMINGHAM — When Mortimer Jordan looked for a replacement for longtime head football coach Greg Watts, it looked within.
And on Thursday, assistant coach Dusty Goode was promoted to the top job.
Goode's selection had been kept under wraps by Principal Barbara Snider until the Jefferson County Board of Education acted on it in their regular meeting Thursday afternoon. Goode's hiring was one of a number of personnel decisions and other matters approved as a group by the board.
Goode is the last of five new coaches to be hired by local schools during this off-season. The others:
- Keith Register, who left Fultondale to take over at Hayden, where Steve Kerby was out after four seasons;
- Richie Busby, promoted at Fultondale to replace Register;
- Matt Plunkett, a native of Arab who moves to Gardendale from Magnolia, Texas to replace Chris Fancher;
- Chris Musso, who takes over at Locust Fork for Mike Bramblett, who took an assistant's position at Hoover.
In action off the football field, the board approved a calendar for the 2013-14 school year. The new year begins for students on August 19, after three work days for teachers the previous week. The school year will end on May 29, 2014.
Other important dates on the new calendar:
- Sept. 2: Labor Day
- Nov. 11: Veterans Day
- Nov. 27-29: Thanksgiving
- Dec. 20: Last day of school before Christmas-New Year's break
- Jan. 6: Students return from holidays
- Jan. 20: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Feb. 17: "Weather day," schools closed unless needed to replace a closing day earlier
- March 24-28: Spring break
- May 26: Memorial Day
The board also approved the installation of air conditioning for the concession stand at Mortimer Jordan's softball field, with the cost of about $2,200 to be paid by the booster club; and approved a change order for work on improvements at Pinson Valley High's athletic fields, with a cost reduction of $18,311.25 from sales tax savings and unused allowances.
Several professional contracts involving north Jefferson schools were approved by the board, including:
- Lyndsey Ragland, for instruction, music and choreography for Bragg Midle School cheerleaders;
- Lauren Gibbons, for similar services for Bragg's cheerleading clinic;
- Ryan Freeman, for choreography and custom music for Jordan's cheerleading team;
- NCS Pearson Inc., for professional development on Common Core curriculum strategies for Fultondale Elementary;
- Stormy Nyree Head, for color guard instruction and choreography at Gardendale High.
The board also agreed to a contract with Gardendale First Baptist Church for use of its facilities for a professional training session.
[Edited at 10:30 p.m. to correct spring break dates.]