BIRMINGHAM — The Jefferson County Board of Education has released the names of the 18 applicants who wish to fill the vacant position on the board.
The list was released during the board’s regular monthly meeting on Tuesday morning.
The vacancy was created when Corner resident Ronald Rhodes stepped down before the end of his third six-year term. Rhodes resignation was effective on Dec. 1. The position is an at-large seat, open to anyone in the district.
Of the 18 applicants, seven are from the north Jefferson area. They are:
- William L. Gibson, Corner
- Kristi Jennings, Fultondale
- Rebecca “Bebe” Pitts, Pinson
- Jeffrey S. Robinson, Fultondale
- Melisha Smith, Fultondale
- Jeffrey Dean Taylor Jr., Morris
- Dr. Diane R. Weber, Mt. Olive
The applicants from other areas of Jefferson County include:
- Martha V.J. Bonyer, Lipscomb
- Barry V. Gardner, Forestdale
- Deanna G. Hatcher, Adamsville
- Tellis J. Jolivette, Jr., McCalla
- Kenneth G. Lowery, Jr., Birmingham
- Rev. Dr. Jonathan McPherson Sr., Hueytown
- George L. Singleton, Hoover
- Samuel K. Staggs, Hueytown
- James D. Stewart, Jr., Irondale
- L. Ann Underwood, Pleasant Grove
Board president Jennifer Parsons said that state law normally requires the position to be filled within 30 days of being vacated, but the board sought an extension from the Alabama Board of Education until the end of January, which was granted.
Parsons said the board would start consideration of the applicants on Jan. 6.
In other business, the board accepted the donation of a large parcel of land near Fultondale High School from BB&T Bank.
Superintendent Dr. Stephen Nowlin said that the 175-acre parcel was originally part of a planned housing development several years ago that didn’t pan out because of the economic downturn.
“It does not mean that we are going to build a school there,” Nowlin said. “But when someone offers you something like this, it’s hard to say no.”
Nowlin added that some work may be required to deal with erosion issues, but it should be minimal.
[Edited at 4:27 to indicate that Kristi Jennings is from Fultondale. The list issued by JefCoEd showed Jennings with a Birmingham address.]