Fultondale News by Sue McKay
The North Jefferson News
I would like to personally thank Dr. Greg Hill for being our guest speaker at the Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast last Saturday morning. He is one of our doctors at North Jefferson Internal Medicine and not only is he a great doctor; he is a good family man and a very good speaker. Dr. Hill did his residency at Caraway Hospital and worked for them for 33 years. He and Dr. Wade have been in Fultondale for eight years and we are so blessed to have them here. Also, a special thanks to Judy McGuirk who sang for us. Judy has a great voice and she really blesses you when she sings. Senior center director Dorothy Byrd and the other workers did a great job preparing for the breakfast. Thanks to all that helped and came.
• I hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. We are now getting in the mood for Christmas, which is just a few weeks away. Try not to get stressed over Christmas; this is the season of joy and remembering the real reason for the season. Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day and we need to remember that.
• If anyone would like to donate to our Christmas for Kids Program, you can come by city hall or mail a check to city hall at P.O. Box 699, Fultondale, AL, 35068. We need to remember families that are less fortunate and going through hard times.
• The Christmas tree lighting will be Dec. 7 behind city hall at the gazebo. The chamber sponsors this event. Refreshments will be served at 6 p.m. and the lighting of the tree will be at 7 p.m. Be sure to bring the family.
• The next Fultondale City Council meeting will be Dec. 14 at 6 p.m.
Remember if you have news, anniversaries or birthdays, let me know.
Sue McKay is The North Jefferson News correspondent for Fultondale. She can be reached at 841-6559.
Fultondale News by Sue McKay
- Community News
Last day for ball registration
Today is last day for Morris Youth Association baseball/softball registration. You can register at Warrior Elementary School Gym from 9 a.m. till noon. The cost is $145 for ages 5-12 and $65 for ages 3-4.
Winter camp meeting set for Feb. 20
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner; remember all those you love, not just on Valentine’s Day, but every day. We are not promised tomorrow, so lets make every day count.
Remember your loved ones this week
Happy birthday to my oldest daughter, Raygan Pelkey. Raygan is turning 4 Tuesday. Raygan, you have been such a blessing to raise and I am honored and privileged to have you as my daughter.
Liver U talk coming to Fultondale
Fultondale City Council meets the second Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. and the fourth Monday at 11:30 a.m. at Fultondale City Hall. Meetings are open to the public.
What to do at the first sign of bugs
Garden tip: At the first sign of bugs, mix one quart of warm water, five drops of liquid soap, five drops of ammonia and one drop of Listerine mouthwash.
Use banana peels for plants
Garden Tip: When you boil eggs, keep the water that the eggs were boiled in along with the egg shells. You can pour the water and shells around tomato plants to keep down blossom-end rot.
A mixture to keep white flies away
Garden tip: White flies are on several plants at this writing. Mix one tablespoon of dish liquid with 1/4 cup of Listerine mouth wash with 1/4 cup of ammonia and one tablespoon of garlic powder. Over spray with this mixture in one gallon of warm water. Use the spray mixture while the water is still warm. You can use a quart sprayer or a gallon sprayer.
Mixture to solve fern problems
If you are having trouble with your ferns, use this mixture.
Mixture to use when transplanting shrubs
Garden tip: When you transplant a shrub or tree, mix in one gallon of warm water, 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baby shampoo, 4 tablespoons of instant tea granules and 2 tablespoons of fish emulsion.
Autism events scheduled for April
April is Autism Awareness Month. There are a couple of things going on in the area. You can visit www.alabamaautism.org for more information, to register for these events, or to make a much-needed donation to this wonderful organization.
- More Community News Headlines
- Last day for ball registration