Bragg to host book fair
Gardendale / Mt. Olive News By Danielle Pelkey
Bragg Middle School will host a Scholastic Book Fair at the school’s media center Nov. 2-6 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The fair will have books for children and for adults. Families are invited to the book fair. To learn more, call the school at 379-2600.
• Happy belated birthday to Faith Andrzejewski on Oct. 24. We hope you have a great year. Faith and her family are missionaries to Portugal.
Danielle Pelkey is The North Jefferson News correspondent for the Gardendale and Mt. Olive communities. She can be reached at 631-8716 or email@example.com.
Charity drive to kick off this month
Fultondale News By Sue McKay
Remember Christmas for Kids will be kicking off this month and we need all the help you can give. We will accept donations at city hall.
• We are so proud of the Fultondale High School football team, which has been doing great this year. The pep rally and bonfire was the biggest we have had in a long time and everyone seemed to have a good time.
• The holidays are fast approaching and we need to remember our military during those occasions. I received information on a program called “Operation Christmas Cards” for our soldiers. They want to collect as many cards as possible by Nov. 20 so they can make sure the soldiers receive them by the holidays. Enlist all your family to help out in this, even small kids. Just write a small note or even a thank you and include your name and contact information if you would like to hear back from the soldier that received your card. The cards can be mailed to Amanda Sullivan, Attn: Operation Christmas Cards, P.O. Box 102, Shrewsbury, MA 01545. If you are local, we are going to put a box in the city hall lobby so you can drop it off here and the chamber of commerce will make sure they get where they are going.
Bragg to host book fair
- Community News
Last day for ball registration
Today is last day for Morris Youth Association baseball/softball registration. You can register at Warrior Elementary School Gym from 9 a.m. till noon. The cost is $145 for ages 5-12 and $65 for ages 3-4.
Winter camp meeting set for Feb. 20
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner; remember all those you love, not just on Valentine’s Day, but every day. We are not promised tomorrow, so lets make every day count.
Remember your loved ones this week
Happy birthday to my oldest daughter, Raygan Pelkey. Raygan is turning 4 Tuesday. Raygan, you have been such a blessing to raise and I am honored and privileged to have you as my daughter.
Liver U talk coming to Fultondale
Fultondale City Council meets the second Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. and the fourth Monday at 11:30 a.m. at Fultondale City Hall. Meetings are open to the public.
What to do at the first sign of bugs
Garden tip: At the first sign of bugs, mix one quart of warm water, five drops of liquid soap, five drops of ammonia and one drop of Listerine mouthwash.
Use banana peels for plants
Garden Tip: When you boil eggs, keep the water that the eggs were boiled in along with the egg shells. You can pour the water and shells around tomato plants to keep down blossom-end rot.
A mixture to keep white flies away
Garden tip: White flies are on several plants at this writing. Mix one tablespoon of dish liquid with 1/4 cup of Listerine mouth wash with 1/4 cup of ammonia and one tablespoon of garlic powder. Over spray with this mixture in one gallon of warm water. Use the spray mixture while the water is still warm. You can use a quart sprayer or a gallon sprayer.
Mixture to solve fern problems
If you are having trouble with your ferns, use this mixture.
Mixture to use when transplanting shrubs
Garden tip: When you transplant a shrub or tree, mix in one gallon of warm water, 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baby shampoo, 4 tablespoons of instant tea granules and 2 tablespoons of fish emulsion.
Autism events scheduled for April
April is Autism Awareness Month. There are a couple of things going on in the area. You can visit www.alabamaautism.org for more information, to register for these events, or to make a much-needed donation to this wonderful organization.
- More Community News Headlines
- Last day for ball registration