Sermon series to focus on ‘Groundhog Day’
Gardendale / Mt. Olive News By Danielle Pelkey
If you are looking for something interesting to do on Wednesday nights, you should go over to Church 29:11 in Mt. Olive and check out their sermon series running through July. The series is based on the movie “Groundhog Day.” It will take place at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church at 631-4525.
• Sara Smith was the guest of honor at her kindergarten graduation party. Party patrons were Jimmy and Julie Smith, Billy and Louise Burchfield, Patia Staton and Sara’s favorite uncle, Bryan Burchfield, so was the D.J. at this event.
• Happy birthday to Doug Holladay on May 29. Sorry it’s late, but we still hope you have a wonderful year.
• Happy 27th birthday to Dr. Lensey Hill today. Lensey is the girlfriend of general manager Adam Smith and friend to the NJN staff.
• Happy anniversary to Jason and Angie Bush of Gardendale. They are the parents of Lexi, Tessa and Brodie Bush. I hope you have many more wonderful years together.
• Thank you to everyone who has been praying for R.J. He is doing much better and is making a wonderful recovery.
Danielle Pelkey is The North Jefferson News correspondent for the Gardendale and Mt. Olive communities. She can be reached at 631-8716 or email@example.com.
Old banana peels — it’s what plants crave
Warrior / Corner / Hayden News By Evangeline Sloan
Garden Tip: If you have rose bushes or gardenia bushes, use a tonic of old banana peelings around the bushes. This will help keep them with green leaves and make more blooms.
• Happy birthday to Bobby W. Mann, Destinee Kiley and K. Sloan on June 8. May all of you have a great day.
• The Gardendale Beautification Comm-ission will host a garden tour today from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and June 7 from 1-4 p.m. Tickets will be sold at Wilson’s Florist for $5 each and at the door of the homes on the tour. These tours will help you as you plant your new flower beds or any other garden project.
Sermon series to focus on ‘Groundhog Day’
- Community News
Last day for ball registration
Today is last day for Morris Youth Association baseball/softball registration. You can register at Warrior Elementary School Gym from 9 a.m. till noon. The cost is $145 for ages 5-12 and $65 for ages 3-4.
Winter camp meeting set for Feb. 20
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner; remember all those you love, not just on Valentine’s Day, but every day. We are not promised tomorrow, so lets make every day count.
Remember your loved ones this week
Happy birthday to my oldest daughter, Raygan Pelkey. Raygan is turning 4 Tuesday. Raygan, you have been such a blessing to raise and I am honored and privileged to have you as my daughter.
Liver U talk coming to Fultondale
Fultondale City Council meets the second Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. and the fourth Monday at 11:30 a.m. at Fultondale City Hall. Meetings are open to the public.
What to do at the first sign of bugs
Garden tip: At the first sign of bugs, mix one quart of warm water, five drops of liquid soap, five drops of ammonia and one drop of Listerine mouthwash.
Use banana peels for plants
Garden Tip: When you boil eggs, keep the water that the eggs were boiled in along with the egg shells. You can pour the water and shells around tomato plants to keep down blossom-end rot.
A mixture to keep white flies away
Garden tip: White flies are on several plants at this writing. Mix one tablespoon of dish liquid with 1/4 cup of Listerine mouth wash with 1/4 cup of ammonia and one tablespoon of garlic powder. Over spray with this mixture in one gallon of warm water. Use the spray mixture while the water is still warm. You can use a quart sprayer or a gallon sprayer.
Mixture to solve fern problems
If you are having trouble with your ferns, use this mixture.
Mixture to use when transplanting shrubs
Garden tip: When you transplant a shrub or tree, mix in one gallon of warm water, 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baby shampoo, 4 tablespoons of instant tea granules and 2 tablespoons of fish emulsion.
Autism events scheduled for April
April is Autism Awareness Month. There are a couple of things going on in the area. You can visit www.alabamaautism.org for more information, to register for these events, or to make a much-needed donation to this wonderful organization.
- More Community News Headlines
- Last day for ball registration