Fultondale News by Sue McKay
The North Jefferson News
The Fultondale Fire Department is raising funds and providing complimentary family portraits to households in the city who donate. C & C Enterprises will be going door-to-door to collect donations and will be taking pictures. If you have any complaints or questions call me at 841-4481.
• The Fultondale wrestling team is selling Boston butts for $25 now through May 20. They can be picked up May 21-23. They are raising money for summer wrestling at the high school. If you want to have someone else cook your Memorial Day barbecue, give Billy Hughes a call at 849-6465 or 283-5380.
• I would like to personally thank everyone that participated or donated to our Fultondale senior citizen’s golf tournament. Without your support, this would not be a success. The funds go directly to the senior’s citizens for their needs at the center.
• Remember the car show/cruise-in will be May 23 from 5 to 9 p.m. at the Target parking lot. Everyone is invited and it is free. Come enjoy a fun-filled afternoon. You can eat at your favorite restaurant, shop and check out the car show.
• I would like to congratulate the 2009 graduating class at Fultondale High School. Graduation is scheduled for May 28 at 2:30 p.m. at Gateway Baptist Church. I wish the very best to all of you. Have a wonderful, safe and prosperous future.
• A special happy belated birthday wish goes to Mrs. Nell Gray, who turned 83 on May 11. We hope she had a wonderful birthday. Her loving husband, Mr. Rubin Gray, sent this birthday wish to her. We hope she has many, many more.
• A special happy belated birthday wish goes to: our city clerk, Jane Hicks, on May 3; Suzanne Burdette of the library on May 6; and to police officer Bill Woods on May May 8. All do a great job for the city and we hope they had great birthdays.
• A happy birthday wish goes to: Debra Webb of the library on May 13; police chief Byron Pigg on May 17; and to Angela Jones of the Gas Department on May 18. We hope they have wonderful birthdays.
Remember if you have news, anniversaries, birthdays or reunions, let me know.
Sue McKay is The North Jefferson News correspondent for Fultondale. She can be reached at 841-4481.
Fultondale News by Sue McKay
- Community News
Last day for ball registration
Today is last day for Morris Youth Association baseball/softball registration. You can register at Warrior Elementary School Gym from 9 a.m. till noon. The cost is $145 for ages 5-12 and $65 for ages 3-4.
Winter camp meeting set for Feb. 20
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner; remember all those you love, not just on Valentine’s Day, but every day. We are not promised tomorrow, so lets make every day count.
Remember your loved ones this week
Happy birthday to my oldest daughter, Raygan Pelkey. Raygan is turning 4 Tuesday. Raygan, you have been such a blessing to raise and I am honored and privileged to have you as my daughter.
Liver U talk coming to Fultondale
Fultondale City Council meets the second Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. and the fourth Monday at 11:30 a.m. at Fultondale City Hall. Meetings are open to the public.
What to do at the first sign of bugs
Garden tip: At the first sign of bugs, mix one quart of warm water, five drops of liquid soap, five drops of ammonia and one drop of Listerine mouthwash.
Use banana peels for plants
Garden Tip: When you boil eggs, keep the water that the eggs were boiled in along with the egg shells. You can pour the water and shells around tomato plants to keep down blossom-end rot.
A mixture to keep white flies away
Garden tip: White flies are on several plants at this writing. Mix one tablespoon of dish liquid with 1/4 cup of Listerine mouth wash with 1/4 cup of ammonia and one tablespoon of garlic powder. Over spray with this mixture in one gallon of warm water. Use the spray mixture while the water is still warm. You can use a quart sprayer or a gallon sprayer.
Mixture to solve fern problems
If you are having trouble with your ferns, use this mixture.
Mixture to use when transplanting shrubs
Garden tip: When you transplant a shrub or tree, mix in one gallon of warm water, 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baby shampoo, 4 tablespoons of instant tea granules and 2 tablespoons of fish emulsion.
Autism events scheduled for April
April is Autism Awareness Month. There are a couple of things going on in the area. You can visit www.alabamaautism.org for more information, to register for these events, or to make a much-needed donation to this wonderful organization.
- More Community News Headlines
- Last day for ball registration